|Mary Ann Puckett
|| Secretary II
|| Maintenance II
|| Maintenance I
The Restoration of the
Washington Cemetery Fountain
by the Garden Clubs of Fayette
History of the Fountain:
picture of fountain
Many times aging structures are viewed simply as 'old'. We pass
them every day without realizing the unique treasure that lies before
us. Such is the fountain in the Washington Cemetery. Records
indicate that this fountain was erected in 1892. Originally
it was situated on Section 4 where it could be seen by all entering the
front gate of the cemetery. In 1904 it was moved to the lake area
in the center of the cemetery. Here the fountain was surrounded by
gardens and walkways. It became the center for many activities
including memorial celebrations and family outings.
Over the years the pump wore out, the lake was filled in to save
money in maintenance, and the fountain fell into disrepair. The
three cherubs which graced the second tier of the fountain disappeared
and urns situated on the basin were broken or missing. In
short the once proud fountain fell into miserable disrepair.
The fountain was originally purchased from the J.W. Fiske Company,
perhaps after Washington residents saw a similar fountain in Lancaster.
The Lancaster fountain - a zinc structure was purchased for a cost of
$3,215. It was installed and dedicated in the Lancaster community
square in 1890. According to reports the old fountain is a replica
of a fountain in Etain, France. Another copy is in Halifax, Nova
Scotia, Canada. It was installed and named the Diamond Jubilee
Fountain in honor of the years of Queen Victoria's rule in Halifax.
Perhaps the Washington Cemetery Fountain was not a replica of another
but an original designed specifically to grace our cemetery. Upon
asking Mr. Karkadoulias, who is knowledgeable on Greek mythology, if he
felt there was a meaning to the figures on the cemetery fountain, he
"In my opinion the two bottom statues represent women who are
'mourning in grief' for the loss of friends and relatives. The
three cherubs on the second level are the angels who are the messengers
between the Lord and the women in mourning. The lady on the top of
the fountain is soothing the pain of the women on the bottom by pouring
or sprinkling water on them. The lady can also be the 'Lady of the
Healing Water'. The water is healing the wounds of the body
and soul and nurtures the soul and the spirit of man."
Very few of these early Fiske fountains are known to have survived to
this day. In fact the Karkadoulias Bronze Art Company, which
specializes in restoration of these fountains has acknowledged their
awareness of only 5 similar fountains. The Karkadoulias Company restores
the fountain in Lancaster in 1986, and has the molds and specifications
of the Washington Fountain, which will enable the company to renovate
the fountain to its original elegance.
The Garden Clubs of Fayette County have taken on the ambitious
project of raising money for the restoration of the historic fountain.
Memorial bricks, which will become a lasting tribute, may be purchased
from Garden Club members, through the Huntington Bank or at the
Washington Cemetery Office. For a brochure on this project, please
contact the Washington Cemetery Office.
The fountain was removed June 2, 2002 and transported to Cincinnati,
where it will be rebuilt and refurbished on the inside as well as on the
outside. The paint and decay will be removed, the structure will
be strengthened, and the triple fountain water system will again grace
the heart of the Cemetery. The Fountain will return to the
Cemetery in the Spring 2003. Once again visitors will be able to
enjoy the beauty that once graced the area between the Judy Chapel and
the Washington Mausoleum.
Judy Chapel -
Restored in 1997, the Judy Memorial Chapel is an historic jewel of
the Washington Cemetery grounds. Built in 1905 at the direction of
Dr. Henry Judy, the late gothic revival style, cross-shaped, granite
building was intended for funeral services before funeral homes became
preferred locations. Bedecked by stained glass windows and opulent
woodwork, the chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 1998.
The U.S. Colored Troops Section burial sites
are a significant historical feature of the cemetery.
Approximately 50 African-American veterans who had served in the Union
Army during the Civil War were buried between the 1870 and the 1930s.
Seventeen other burial sites have been located in Fayette County.
Each are identified with military burial markers with names and
regimental designation. Log onto
for more information.
Past Political Figures
Mills Gardner, 1830-1910
Mills Gardner most notable political position was as a Republican
member of the United States House of Representatives to the Forty-fifth
Congress from March 4, 1877 to March 3, 1879. He was born in
Russellville, Ohio in Brown County on January 30, 1830 and attended the
local schools of Highland County and also Rankins Academy in Ripley,
Ohio. He moved to Fayette County in 1854 and studied law and was
admitted to the bar in the following year of 1855 commencing his law
practice in Washington Court House, Ohio the same year. During the
years of 1855 - 1859 Mr. Gardner was the prosecuting attorney for
Fayette County. In the years of 1862 to 1863 he was a member of the Ohio
State senate and in 1866 was elected to the Ohio State House of
Representatives for a 2 year term. In 1872 he was a delegate to the
state constitutional convention. In 1878 and not being a candidate for
reelection to congress he resumed his law practice in Washington
Court until the time of his death on February 20, 1910. Mills Gardner
was interred in the Washington Cemetery, his gravesite can be found in
Section 10 - Lot 6.
James Douglass Post, 1863-1921
James Douglass Post was born near Milledgeville in Fayette
County Ohio on November 25, 1863. He attended the local county schools
and graduated from the National Normal University in Lebanon, Ohio
in 1882. Mr. Post taught school for five years while studying law and
was accepted into the bar in 1887 and started his law practice in
Washington Court House, Ohio. He began his political career in
1911, he was elected as a Democratic Representative to the United
States House of Representatives for the Sixty-second and Sixty-third
congresses. He served as a representative from March 4, 1911 until March
3, 1915 for two terms when he was not renominated for the Sixty-fourth
Congress. Mr. Post returned to his offices in Washington Court
House and practiced law until the time of his death on April 1,
1921. He was interred in the Washington Cemetery and his gravesite can
be found in Section 15 - Lot 7.
Visit the Washington Cemetery. The cemetery grounds, along with
the Judy Memorial Chapel, the U.S. Colored Troops burial sites and the
Washington Cemetery Fountain, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4
pm. Call ahead at 740-636-2385 to confirm hours due to funeral
schedules and to arrange a tour of the Judy Chapel.
The Fayette County Historical Museum proudly
showcases items from the county's rich history. The private,
non-profit historical society operates the museum at 517 Columbus
Avenue, Washington Courthouse. It is open weekend afternoons May
through October. Admission is free. Call 740-335-2953 for
more information and group tour arrangements.